City Hall

Pictured Above: City Clerk Bill Butrick


City of Highland

P.O. Box 387

Highland, Kansas 66035

Phone: 785-442-3765



City Hall business hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon and from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday.  Sometimes the office will be closed due to business errands that have to be tended to.  For your convenience there is a drop box by the back door of the City Hall building for water payments. The Address for City Hall is City of Highland, P.O. Box 387, Highland, KS  66035.  The phone number for City Hall is 785-442-3765 and the Police Department is 785-442-3212.  For all emergencies call 9-1-1.



City Council meetings are held the 2nd Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m.  The governing body consists of a Mayor and five Council Members.  If you would like to be placed on the meeting agenda you must have your request to the City Clerk the Friday before the meeting no later than 11:45 a.m.



All violations of city ordinances are filed in municipal court.  Complaints are initiated by the police department and prosecuted by the city attorney.  Municipal court is scheduled on the first and third Monday’s of each month at 4:00 p.m. unless a trial is scheduled in which case it may be moved up to 3:30 p.m.  If the court date falls on a holiday it is rescheduled for the Tuesday following. 



City elections are held in odd number years’.  Usually the elections are staggered which means the Mayor position and two council positions are voted on and then two years later three council positions are voted on or vice versa.  The election is held the first Tuesday in April.  If a primary election is needed it is five weeks prior to the first Tuesday in April.  Anyone wanting to file for city office must file a statement of candidacy with the City Clerk or the County Election Officer ten weeks prior to the election no later than 11:30 a.m.



The current sales tax rate for the city is 8.30%.



Whenever you build a new house, garage, shed whatever the construction might be you must first check at the City Clerk’s office to see if you are following the guidelines in the City’s Zoning Ordinance.  Certain set-backs are required from the street-right-of-way, neighboring property owner’s property lines and alleys’ as well as height of the building and lot coverage.  If the building permit is approved there is a charge of $5.00 and a permit issued to you.  In some cases the construction company takes care of this for you.  If you apply for tax reduction through the Neighborhood Revitalization Program, you must have purchased your building permit before your application will be considered. There are options available in case your building permit is refused.  The Board of Zoning Appeals meets on all variances that are applied for.  A variance usually means you do not have the proper set-backs as required by the Zoning Ordinance.  The Board of Zoning Appeals will then vote on your request for a variance and will review all letters, phone calls or those attending the hearing from surrounding property owners before making their decision.  Sometimes a “change of zoning” may be applied for due to the current zoning not being permissible to the type of construction or usage you want.  This application is applied for through the Doniphan County Planning and Zoning Commission who meets once a month and their recommendation is then sent to the city council for their review.  All final decisions with respect to zoning matters are made by the city council , subject only to judicial review in limited circumstances.